4.15.2008

Kids like dirt

Kids like dirt. Familiarity with dirt teaches them to be gardeners. And gardeners are necessarily stewards of the planet.


G follows me around when I plant things, digging holes next to mine, "planting" the almond slivers he finds in his granola. I indulge this whenever I can. But sometimes, I have to say no - that's where I just planted my shelling peas, for example, and I don't really want them dug up before they sprout.

That's why I built him a dirt table. He can do whatever he likes there. Plant seeds, water them way too much, dig them up again, run bulldozers over them. It's basically a shelf with drainage holes and an "edge" to accommodate a couple inches of dirt. He's constantly pulling up his sprouted peas and examining the roots. "Look at this papa!"

0 comments: