8.13.2008

Tomatoes Get Somewhat Organized

Anarchy.

This spring, my tomatoes fell into anarchy. Normally, I'm known as a relentless pruner when it comes to taming that New World beast. But after allowing them to know such freedom, I couldn't bear to give them the mid-summer hacking. Practically speaking, they'd invested so much energy into those skinny, desperate tendrils. I feared cutting into their yield. So, I met them halfway.

The illusion of control.

I strung up what I could, leaving a dense, tangled mass at the bottom of the trellises. And it's a mess in there. Older leaves, yellowed with age, shading out young healthy leaves. None of the air flow I like in my tomato bushes, so I suppose they're more vulnerable to blight. But I've decided to show them a little more respect this year. Let them dream big.

I'm feeling generous after harvesting this very ripe tomato.

3 comments:

Amberlynn said...

That's the best tomato I've seen all summer! Well, ok. Second best. Mine was harvested June 8th, and was a nice ripe red. :)

Daisy said...

Hmmm.... maybe you should consider turnin' those maters upside down next year.

Terry McNichols said...

Whoa, that's the first time I've seen L looking like pictures of her father. What a sweet tomato! Good job of growing your crop! Ahma T.