6.27.2008

While the family's away...

June has come and (almost) gone in a blur of activity. We were on vacation for a week, during which the strong sun and rain caused everything to shoot up out of the ground. My jaw dropped when we pulled into the driveway in the middle of the night and the headlights illuminated our quickly-growing squash plants. "They're HUGE!" It's fun to watch the yellow blossoms (which are tempting not to pick and eat, for anyone who's ever been lucky enough to have had them stuffed with ricotta cheese and basil, battered and fried) turn gradually into tiny pale fruits. We ended up with five plants; I'm not sure how many are pattypan and how many are zucchini, since a few were late-blooming seedlings that I had given up on and thrown away the labeled stakes.

The pepper plants are happy; there is one tiny red one and a bevy of tiny green ones waiting to ripen into red. I also mishandled the labeling of these, and since I purchased them from a couple of different places as well as starting some of my own, we really will have to be surprised when they're ready to harvest!

The greens are growing like gangbusters. I finally thinned the lettuce plants after taking this picture; it was less painful than I'd thought it would be, especially since the thinnings went straight into the colander to be washed and turned into dinner. The spinach is starting to bolt, which I know means I should harvest and freeze the whole crop before it turns bitter. I intend to do that within the next day or so, before we leave again for a week. Does anybody know whether I can plant more spinach, now? I might try it, since I have the seeds and the space.

A few nights ago when our cat Maia was curled up on my lap, I smelled something odd on her, and it took me a few minutes to place it. Finally I realized she'd been lying between the tomato plants for most of the afternoon while Rob and I planted a new bed. Hopefully, the squirrels took note!

3 comments:

MissoulaChick said...

According to the rules I've read, if you were to plant spinach now, it would pretty much be a disaster 'cause of the heat. I think you need to wait until early September and plant then, which will yield a nice crop in mid October before the first frost. That is my understanding.

RugbugRedfern said...

All my spinach bolts during warm weather. Around here, people plant spinach substitutes like "New Zealand Spinach" (not really spinach) or "Strawberry Spinach" / "Beet Spinach" (Chenopodium capitatum). Then they plant more real spinach for a second harvest in the fall / early winter.

RugbugRedfern said...

in the heat of the summer they plant spinach substitutes, I meant